Thursday, November 17, 2011

James Bond-Hurricane Gold, by Charlie Higson

Hurricane Gold, by Charlie Higson is the fourth book in the Young Bond series. Higson has developed such an interesting character. Bond is only thirteen years old, yet he is wise, clever, strong, and brave. In every situation he is calm, and it never really explains how he is feeling. I think Higson did this to make James Bond more mysterious. I tend to like it better when the character is not a true hero at first, then he goes through this huge transformation and at the end of the story he is untouchable. This however, makes me question certain things: how did James get his confidence? Did he go through some other traumatic that made him tough? Was it his other missions that got him to this point? Now that I think back on Silverfin, the first book, he still seemed very calm and together.
Charlie Higson does a great job of developing bad guys, however. Whenever he speaks about the main antagonist, he describes him/her in complete detail. I can literally see the character in front of me, picturing them down to the last hair on their head.
In this story, James is somewhere in Mexico, and he is forced to travel with this American gang that are holding two little kids hostage. James has seen so much killing and torture, but I still don't know how he feels about it. I can never really connect to what James is going through, because I have never had to fight for my life. I enjoy Hurricane Gold, even if it is all action and no feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment