Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mythology by Edith Hamilton

In case you didn't know a thing about the Greek, Roman, or Norse Gods, Mythology is definitely the book to read. It has everything you couldn't ever want to learn about, from Theseus and the Minotaur to Jason and the Golden Fleece. I really like how all of the stories are written in the form of poetry, and some of the phrases are riddles. For instance, I'm currently reading the adventure of the Golden Fleece, and the language is very hard to understand. But I realize that when you really listen to the words, they are really descriptive and beautiful.
Another observation has to do with character. I realized that all of the characters are the same-strong and heroic. Hercules and Achilles might as well be the same people. But Jason is different. Jason is a quiet, humble person, that accepted a quest because he needed the support of his future kingdom. Jason is not big and strong, nor is he invulnerable. He is a mortal that has been forced into a perilous journey. I rooted for Jason, because he was a good friend. He would risk his life for the other people on the quest, even though he had a throne waiting for him.  For many reasons, I would like to be like Jason. He is brave and thoughtful, and a kind person as well. My next fiction story will be on a character like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment