Thursday, January 26, 2012

Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eion Colfer

The first time I encountered Artemis Fowl, I didn't understand a word of the language. I mostly skimmed through it because it was the summer reading assignment for 6th grade. I hated the book because of its big vocabulary, but even then I realized that the story itself had potential. So I put it on hold and forgot about it after awhile. Now that I'm in 8th grade, I decided to read the second book: Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident. It was one of the best books I have ever read. Eion Colfer introduces a character that has never been seen before. A criminal mastermind by the name of Artemis Fowl disappeared on a boat "accident". During his absence, his heir and son Artemis Fowl the Second steps in to save the illegal career of his father. This anti social boy is a genius, and more devious then anyone could ever imagine. He even has a super strong bodyguard named Butler, who is AWESOME. Even more interesting is when Colfer introduces the fairy world, where all of the mythological creatures are found underground. Artemis attempts to capture an elf named Holly Short to restore his grief stricken mother's sanity. He succeeds, creating even more dangerous enemies.
Since the story is told from two points of view, I really do not know who to root for. Artemis Fowl is the main  character, of course, but is he really the protagonist? It seems to me that the fairies should win, because they never did anything to harm Artemis. In the second book however, I have an easier time cheering for Artemis. He has changed with his coming of age, and has openly admitted his mistake to the fairy folk. In fact, I almost feel bad for Artemis. In this book all Artemis cares about is finding his dad, since he has discovered that he is alive and being held for ransom. The details in the book are incredible, even making me feel like I'm inside of the story. Both one and two will have the readers on the edge of their side, eyes glued to the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment