Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

In The Son of Neptune, a character we have known for so long (Percy Jackson), has lost in memory and is thrust into danger immediately. He meets new friends along the way and discovers the real meaning to being a hero. Percy and I are alike in many ways, because we both have the same personalities, and we both handle difficult situations the same way.
A lot of people have a hard time taking Percy seriously, because he seems to be goofy kid. He has a nag for making jokes on very sensitive topics, and can sometimes say very dumb things. This causes his friends to underestimate him. "Hazel made a mental note not to underestimate Percy again. When he'd first arrived, she'd thought he was a little goofy from the questions he'd asked-about the Feast of Tuna and all-but clearly he was smarter than he let on"(99). A lot of people feel the same way about me. I like to have a sense of humor during dark moments and can sometimes say ridiculous things. But most of the time, I can be very intelligent and thoughtful.
I have a very hard time making important choices. Especially when a lot of people are depending on me, and my choice will affect all of them. Percy has the same problem, but the difference between us is that Percy seems to know what he wants, and what he doesn't want. During Percy's brief time in Camp Jupiter, demigods all around have seen what powerful and effective leader he is. This causes their leader Reyna to ask Percy to share her power. Percy is nervous, confused, and afraid of making the wrong decision. He says no to her offer, which is very surprising. Of course, I have never been offered something as huge as this, but I think Percy was thinking the same thing I was: I don't want that kind of responsibility, and I don't want to have to take the blame if something goes wrong.
Percy Jackson might the Son of Poseidon, but he can also be just like any normal teenager. By making Percy like this, I can connect to the book easier. Percy Jackson and I are alike in many ways, not because of what he is, but who he is. And isn't that what defines us? Not what we are, but who we are.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a good post mostly because of your connection to Percy. Truthfully, I never saw how you actually are- which of course, kind of is already established. (Not to say I don't find you that funny. *cough cough* ) Good job.

    ReplyDelete