Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My thoughts on Another Sonnet for Stephan

I see a little boy of four or five
Whose face lights up whenever we would play
Who made me feel it's great to be alive
And wish that time would never tick away
I see a college youth who goes to Penn,
Strong and handsome, smart in mind and dress,
Enthusiastic, kind, who scores a "ten,"
Possessing every trait that spells success.
       
I see the man who came from both those boys
Creating business plans and paths to wealth
With nochalance, with skills and unique poise
While fighting back attackers of his health.


The boy, the youth, the man are each now gone,
Except that in my heart they linger on.  
       -Another Sonnet for Stephan by Alvin Lester Sitomer


Another Sonnet for Stephan is a very moving piece, because it tells the brief story of a father's love for his child. He watches the boy grow up, and turn into a good man. Sitomer (the author), talks about Stephan's traits, and it is clear the father is proud of his son. Towards the end however, the reader understands that this sonnet has been written in the boy's memory. Sitomer does not just come out and say, "Stephan got sick and he died." He lets reader discover what has happened. 
It took me a while to understand  the sonnet completely. For one, I didn't know if the author was talking about his brother or someone else. He also wrote the poem in chronological order, so first he described 4 year old Stephan, then he described college Stephan. The next stanza says: I see the man who came from both those boys. I then thought that he was talking about two boys. After I read the poem twice more, I understood completely, though not what Sitomer must be feeling from losing his child.

No comments:

Post a Comment