Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Rain Forest sonnet by Zack Palomo

The rain forest sonnet was one of the most bizarre things I have ever encountered. Also one of the most difficult. Usually when I write a poem, I don't rhyme the stanzas, and I never go by the 10 centimeter/iambic pentameter rules. But as I started my sonnet, I realized that writing poetry can be interesting and fun. Trying to fit abstract ideas into 10 syllables a line, and attempting to give it rhythm was a challenge for me. I let my imagination wander, not really caring whether my words made sense, just trying to establish visualization. Rhyming the words added to this paradox. I had to create stanzas about a wild forest, but rhyme words like cave and gave. Believe it or not, the 10 syllable thing came easier for me. But the weirdest was the iambic pentameter. It was just too difficult to make a sentence that had a unstressed-stressed pattern. All in all, however, the rain forest sonnet is an accomplishment that I can be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment